In general, you have two types of people: those that absolutely love pre-workout and think it’s the best thing since sliced bread, or those that think it’s totally useless and wouldn’t touch it with a ten-foot pole.
The in-betweeners? Well, there aren’t too many of them.
For most people, pre-workouts have always been associated with excessive stimulants and addiction with results that aren’t really anything to write home about.
But with the innovations in the fitness supplement world, we’ve seen some pretty awesome pre-workout blends stock shelves that actually work without relying on insanely high amounts of caffeine making you feel as though your veins are about to pop out of your body.
If you’ve been on the fence about diving into a pre-workout because of all the smack people talk about them, we want to change your mind. When you can find a good pre-workout with quality ingredients, it can literally take your workout and your results to another level.
Right now, we’re talking the best pre-workout around.
The Best Vegan Pre-Workout
Pre Lab Pro is the next-generation pre-workout formula that delivers bigger and better results than anything you could imagine. It’s designed to shatter your limits and help you reach beyond just strength and stamina. We want to unleash your inner beast.
It sparks a 2x muscle-pumping nitric oxide (NO) turbocharge + afterburn for all-around athletics, plus the addition of smart caffeine, hydrating factors, and restorative essentials to power you through any activity—no matter the duration. It’s a blood flow boost like you’ve never felt before, giving you:
- Physical & mental energy
- Peak muscle power & efficiency
- Extended endurance
- Laser intensity
- Calm clarity
And just when you thought it couldn’t get better, feel the Pre Lab Pro® afterburner kick in - a second NO surge that helps you go longer, finish stronger, and get a head start on muscle recovery.
But that’s not all about physical performance with Pre Lab Pro®. It’s also designed to support a healthy inner balance, so you can train like a beast and function like a human the rest of your day, and still get that deep, restorative sleep to maximize muscle and fitness gains.
It’s the first-ever pre-workout formula stacked with research-based ingredients to deliver next-level results. They complement each other, amplify each other, and unlock synergy.
What Is A Pre-Workout?
Pre-workouts are specific formulas designed for consumption before a training session to get you in the zone; they rev your energy, increase your focus, and get your body and muscles fired up to work.
Typical Pre-Workout Ingredients
No pre-workouts are exactly alike, but in general, they contain a blend of ingredients designed to increase alertness, boost energy, dilate blood vessels to increase blood flow, support muscle growth, and prevent or reduce fatigue onset.
These are some of the most common ingredients you’ll find in pre-workout supplements 1-5:
If there’s one substance that can get you up and ready to train, caffeine will do it; and pre-workouts love to use caffeine in crazy amounts for that very reason.
As a potent nervous system stimulator, it blocks molecules that induce fatigue to elevate performance during endurance, power, and resistance exercises, as well as enhance brain function.
Typically, caffeine amounts range from 100-300mg, but there are some with even more. For your sake, avoid these as they can cause serious side effects.
Creatine is one of the most popular workout supplements and there’s a good reason why it’s used in pre-workout formulas. The role of creatine is to increase intramuscular phosphocreatine (PCr) concentrations to enhance work capacity.
It plays a critical role in energy availability and the regeneration of ATP, your body’s main energy substrate. Because prolonged intense activity depletes phosphocreatine, energy availability starts to decline as well due to the lack of ATP regeneration needed to meet the demands of high-intensity exercise. Creatine safeguards against that.
Amino acids (BCAAs)
Amino acids are the foundation of muscle growth, and the three branched-chain amino acids are key for stimulating muscle protein synthesis, but also minimizing muscle protein breakdown, reducing exercise-induced muscle damage, and reducing muscle soreness, while simultaneously accelerating post-workout recovery.
Beta-alanine is one of the best supplements for boosting work capacity and offsetting fatigue. It is a precursor to carnosine synthesis, which works as an intramuscular buffer to reduce lactic acid buildup and prevent muscular fatigue, thus improving work capacity.
Nitric oxide is a powerful vasodilator that can enhance performance by boosting blood circulation to enhance nutrient delivery to working muscles. Compounds like arginine and citrulline are commonly added to pre-workouts to increase levels of nitric oxide and improve exercise performance.
B vitamins play an important role in energy metabolism and cell regeneration. They serve as coenzymes in many key reactions in the energy-producing pathways of the body, which experience high levels of stress during physical activity and thus increase the demand for them.
Why Take A Pre-Workout Supplement?
While it’s entirely possible to crush a workout with no supplementation, taking a pre-workout gives you an added boost to increase power, improve strength, maximize force production, and boost endurance.
There may not be a direct effect of pre-workout supplements on boosting force output, but what it may do is mitigate fatigue-related decrements in force production after periods of intense work 6.
Increase power and strength
Studies suggest that taking a pre-workout supplement can lead to significant improvements in anaerobic peak and mean power 7.
This may be in part due to the ability of these formulas to augment strength and power performance via increasing motor unit firing rates, increasing calcium release, and boosting nitric oxide concentrations, which collectively work to produce stronger muscle contractions.
The specific combination of compounds like caffeine and nitric oxide boosters help to improve agility choice reaction performance and lower body muscular endurance, while also increasing perceived energy and reducing subjective fatigue during strenuous exercise 8.
Best Pre-Workout Ingredients
RedNite® Red Beetroot Powder
Beetroot powder in a pre-workout? Bet you didn’t see that one coming… But as a rich natural source of nitrate, red beetroot powder is a powerful nitric oxide (NO) booster that helps dilate blood vessels to boost blood flow throughout the body 9.
Athletes have long used the nitric oxide rush to push hard-working muscles to their limits across all forms of training, and we want you to do the same.
Red beetroot powder gives you:
- Improved neuromuscular performance - a fitness advantage, especially in strength training
- Fatigue resistance - reduces the aerobic cost of exercise; more muscle power with the same oxygen
- Enhanced muscle recovery - helps fuel and boost muscle cells’ mitochondria efficiency
- Healthy cardiovascular performance - supports overall cardiovascular function
- Sharper cognitive function - boosts mental clarity and reaction time during training
But that’s not all it does. Beetroot powder contains powerful compounds called betalain pigments, which function as potent antioxidants and anti-inflammatories to help mitigate the effects of oxidative stress ensued through intense training and improve recovery 9.
Setria Performance Blend® (Glutathione + L-citrulline)
Glutathione and L-citrulline are a power couple in this formula. They work together to maximize and sustain nitric oxide levels for peak power output. Each of these nutrients is powerful on its own, but when combined, they elicit effects like no other.
L-citrulline is a nonessential amino acid that converts to L-arginine and nitric oxide. But unlike L-arginine, L-citrulline can bypass metabolism in the liver and is shunted directly to the kidneys where it plays a direct role in boosting levels of NO 10.
The other component, glutathione, is one of the most powerful antioxidants in the body, and in terms of exercise performance, glutathione (GSH) helps to upregulate NO-pathways 11 and protect the body from free radicals produced as a by-product of exercise.
In doing so, it protects NO from oxidative damage and enhances its effectiveness. But GSH also stabilizes and slowly releases NO giving you longer-lasting effects 12.
Together, Setria Performance Blend helps to:
- Support peak muscle power output
- Maintains VO2 max (muscle efficiency)
- Keep energy in muscle tissues
- Boost muscle growth, comfort, and recovery
- Protect muscle tissues during exercise
- Support immune system defenses
- Boost performance and delay fatigue
Caffeine in a pre-workout can go both ways. Some people maximize their focus and power, while for other people it totally cans their workout.
As a powerful central nervous system stimulant, caffeine helps to block compounds that cause fatigue to increase attention and focus, boost energy and intensity, enhance muscle strength, and maximize fat loss.
Studies suggest that the ergogenic effect of caffeine during prolonged (>30 minutes), moderate-intensity (≈75 to 80% V̇2max) exercise may be in part due to caffeine-mediated glycogen sparing, but potentially also because of an increased rate of lipolysis 13.
But unlike other pre-workout formulas that contain high-dose caffeine, Pre Lab Pro® supplies a moderate-dose stacked with boosters and balancers for maximum workout benefits and minimal side effects.
L-Theanine is an amino acid found in green tea that helps to increase alpha waves in the brain to offer several powerful benefits. Taken in a pre-workout blend, it helps to strengthen the mental aspects of exercise, support relaxed alertness, positive mood, and cognitive clarity .
And when combined with caffeine, L-theanine enhances the effects of caffeine to promote calmer, cleaner stimulation precision-tuned for peak performance.
What’s more, it also supports dopamine, GABA, and serotonin brain chemicals for a calm, motivated state of mind, blunts excitatory brain chemicals to tone down an overstimulated central nervous system (CNS), and supports and maintains blood pressure and heart rate within a normal range.
Just when you thought this blend couldn’t get any better, we add Ajipure® L-tyrosine for its ability to support synthesis and recycling of the catecholamines most impacted by caffeine—dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine 15. It sharpens focus under stress and maintains neurotransmitters depleted by caffeine and intense training.
Low catecholamine levels have been linked to diminished athletic performance, poor focus, mood issues, crashes, and fatigue. But taken pre-workout, L-tyrosine supports brain chemicals that drive athletic intensity and mental recovery to:
- Offset stress and crashing associated with intense training
- Maintain physical, neuromuscular, and cognitive performance under stress, fatigue, or distraction
Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
Sodium and potassium are two of the most essential minerals required for normal body function but become that much more important during exercise to support muscle contraction, nerve function, and blood volume. But when we sweat, sodium is the first to go.
Himalayan pink salt is key in pre-workout formulas to help you maintain hydration and balance during even the most intense workouts. It tops off your system with trace minerals and electrolytes needed to perform before you start your session by mitigating the performance-limiting impact of exercise-induced depletion of essential minerals.
Himalayan Pink Salt works in combination with:
- NutriGenesis® Potassium to help maintain hydration more efficiently during your workout, thereby enhancing performance
- Ajipure® L-Tyrosine & Setria® Performance Blend to enhance the absorption of these sports nutrition amino acids
What Makes Pre Lab Pro The Best?
Aside from the stellar stack of ingredients that will push your body beyond its limits, you’re getting everything that conventional pre-workout supplements miss:
Most pre-workout supplements you find are loaded with dyes, synthetic flavors, and artificial sweeteners that do serious damage long term. But you won’t find any of those here.
Pre Lab Pro® uses research-backed ingredients only for safe and effective ergogenic nutrition. It’s vegan-friendly, non-GMO, non-irradiated, and 100% free of gluten, allergens, synthetic additives, artificial colors, and preservatives. And the best part is, what you see on the label is everything you’re getting.
Chronic consumption of artificial sweeteners over time wreaks havoc on your body’s insulin and glucose regulation, which can result in things like weight gain, fatigue, and diabetes. Pre Lab Pro’s delicious berry flavor is naturally flavored and sweetened with xylitol, erythritol, stevia, and monk fruit extract for no funky blood sugar imbalances and no questionable flavor derivatives.
Moderate-dose caffeine plus synergistic L-theanine & nootropics provide jitter-free energy, focus, alertness, and motivation. It’s simple precision dosing designed to maximize your performance.
Pre-workout formulas can play an important role in maximizing your training program. If you find yourself unmotivated or lacking the focus during your workouts, investing in a clean and effective pre-workout may be up your alley.
But if you’re concerned about wasting your money or getting serious jitters from conventional brands, Pre Lab Pro puts everything you ever thought about with pre-workouts aside to unleash your inner beast and crush your fitness goals. Trust us when we say you’ll never look at another pre again.
- M Wyss, R Kaddurah-Daouk. Creatine and creatinine metabolism. Physiol Rev. 2000 Jul; 80(3): 1107-213.
- R Cooper, F Naclerio, J Allgrove, A Jimenez. Creatine supplementation with specific view to exercise/sports performance: an update. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2012; 9(1): 33.
- RM Hobson, B Saunders, G Ball, RC Harris, C Sale. Effects of β-alanine supplementation on exercise performance: a meta-analysis. Amino Acids. 2012; 43(1): 25-37.
- RR Wolfe. Branched-chain amino acids and muscle protein synthesis in humans: myth or reality? J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2017 Aug; 14: 30.
- MM Manore. Effect of physical activity on thiamine, riboflavin, and vitamin B-6 requirements. Am J Clin Nutr. 2000;72(2 Suppl):598S-606S.
- PB Collins, CP Earnest, RL Dalton, RJ Sowinski, TJ Grubic, CJ Favot, AM Coletta, C Rasmussen, M Greenwood, RB Kreider. Short-erm effects of a ready-to-drink pre-workout beverage on exercise performance and recovery. Nutrients. 2017;9(8):823.
- N Martinez, B Campbell, M Franek, L Buchanan, R Colquhoun. The effect of acute pre-workout supplementation on power and strength performance. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2016;13:29.
- BD Spradley, KR Crowley, CY Tai, et al. Ingesting a pre-workout supplement containing caffeine, B-vitamins, amino acids, creatine, and beta-alanine before exercise delays fatigue while improving reaction time and muscular endurance. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2012;9:28.
- T Clifford, G Howatson, DJ West, EJ Stevenson. The potential benefits of red beetroot supplementation in health and disease. Nutrients. 2015;7(4):2801-2822.
- KA Wijnands, TM Castermans, MP Hommen, DM Meesters, M Poeze. Arginine and citrulline and the immune response in sepsis. Nutrients. 2015;7(3):1426-1463.
- S Oae, YH Kim, D Fukushima, K Shinhama. Organic thionitrites and related substances: a review. Org Prep Proc Int. 1983;15:165–98.
- P Hwang, FE Morales Marroquín, J Gann, et al. Eight weeks of resistance training in conjunction with glutathione and L-Citrulline supplementation increases lean mass and has no adverse effects on blood clinical safety markers in resistance-trained males. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2018;15(1):30.
- SL Dodd, RA Herb, SK Powers. Caffeine and exercise performance. An update. Sports Med. 1993;15(1):14-23.
- AC Nobre, A Rao, GN Owen. L-theanine, a natural constituent in tea, and its effect on mental state. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2008;17 Suppl 1:167-168.
- SN Young. L-tyrosine to alleviate the effects of stress? J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2007;32(3):224.